Monday, October 28, 2019

A Long Time Journey: An Interview with a Newport Citizen


Image result for newport on the levee

When looking into Newport, while I am unfamiliar with the area of Newport overall, I decided to turn to a great friend and long-time resident of Newport to see into what he thinks of the city overall. For the purposes of privacy I will be referencing my friend as "C". C has always been an individual who has been wanting to try new things and to expand his reach. Below is his opinions about the city that

My first question I asked him surrounding Newport as a home. 

He describes Newport as, "the home you want to leave. It is home because everyone knows everyone. It was because this that my time in Newport was great, but I knew from the moment I moved there that I wanted to leave it after high school. I wasn't like everyone or the co culture. So my time was great, but lonely.

My second question I asked him about the schools of Newport.

He describes the schools of Newport as, "bad, worse than bad, they're awful. A bunch of kids raised to not care what anyone tells them and to rebel. My honors class had the same 20 people in it every year. Newport schools showed they didn't care. Matter of fact, a teacher once told my class we were all numbers."

My third question I asked him about the sights and sounds of Newport.

In this response he specifically talked about the the levee section of Newport. He described this area as, "Great. I spent my childhood and teens walking Newport and the levee. I seriously gained and lost friends there. Its a great place to be when you're bored, with friends, or on a date.


When giving this interview with my friend C, I wanted to truly hear how he thought of the place he grew up at. While he was personally not a fan of living there or the school system that is currently there, he did say that Newport is a great place to explore in. He was very positive about the impact places such as the Levee had on his childhood. All in all, he concluded to me that Newport is like every other city, it has its highlights and it has its problems. He also said that this was only his personal opinion and that for someone else Newport could mean something different. However, for an individual who is wanting to explore, he felt he was confined there, but coming into Newport to explore? He absolutely liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment