Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Under the Bridge: A Newport Melting Pot



While travelling through Newport and its bustling streets, we came across Newport High School. Newport High School has a long standing history for over the past 50+ years; however, that wasn't what intrigued me the most about the area. Under 471 towards Cincinnati is an often populated utopia filled to the brim with many ramps, rails, and stairs. Here in Newport, Kentucky, is the community's skate park. This skate park is a haven for many local residents of Newport ,whether in Newport High School or not, to come to skate, socialize, and compete.


While I do not have as much familiarity with the importance of this skate park to the local community of Newport, I could tell by my observations how important and impact its lure can truly be. The skate-park used to be parking, however over time, they eventually converted the old parking lot into the skate-park that can be seen today. In fact, the skate park is owned by the owner of the Galaxy Skate Shop. What I saw within my quick observations of the skate-park was a sense of community. I saw individuals socializing and presenting their skating skills to fellow friends and possibly strangers. I saw a community of individuals who have come together to skate.

There was no judgement, they did not see differences, in fact, what I saw with this skate park was a sense of unity. A passion for the sport they truly cared about in skating. While I am not much of a skater, the skate-park was constantly there, tempting me to go and try skating for the first time. While I couldn't go to the skate-park and skate due to time constraints and not having a skateboard, the community interaction I saw there truly impressed me. It impressed me in a sense I am starting to want to learn how to truly become a skater and become a part of a community that feels truly united in their hobby.

That is what I got from my experience observing the bustling skate-park below 471. A community that regardless of differences, have come together to interact and skate.

No comments:

Post a Comment